Man dies in boating accident
INVESTIGATIONS were underway on Sunday after a man died taking part in a powerboat festival at Dovercourt.
Ian Stirling, 59, from St Austell, Cornwall, was fatally injured when the boat he was in appeared to strike a wave and overturn.
Other boats taking part in the festival at Dovercourt, Harwich on Saturday, arrived at the scene quickly but Mr Stirling had died. Today’s racing has been cancelled as a mark of respect.
Another man who had been on the boat before it struck the wave sometime before 4pm on Saturday received a head injury.
A second boat was also affected by the wave and a man was taken to hospital for his injuries to be treated.
You may also want to watch:
Essex police officers, including officers from the marine unit, are investigating the crash in liaison with the Marine Accident Investigation Branch.
It is understood the dead man did not come from East Anglian but no further information about his identity has been released and the coroner has been informed.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 5 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 8 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 9 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Police are appealing for anyone who has photographs or video footage of the moments when the boat crashed to contact Essex Police on 0300 333 4444 and leave their details so that officers can contact them in the next day or so.