Man, 77, dies in flat fire in Suffolk
PUBLISHED: 13:09 06 July 2019 | UPDATED: 07:59 07 July 2019
A 77-year-old man has died following a fire at his sheltered accommodation flat in Suffolk.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the blaze in Peddars Close at 1.14am and three crews - from Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds and Thetford - attended.
One occupant of the first-floor flat was unaccounted for and was inside the property.
Officers have confirmed a 77-year-old man died at the Blackbourne View sheltered accommodation in Peddars Close.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said a joint police and fire investigation into the blaze is now taking place, though the death is not being treated as suspicious at this time.
Others living in Peddars Close expressed their shock over what happened.
One neighbour, Andrew Ahenkuro, said: "It's such a tragedy."
Suzie Bates added: "That's awful. That's very sad."
Alan Bartrum said: "It's normally quiet round here. I have been here three years. My neighbour said she woke up at 2am (due to the commotion)."
Joyce Mitchell, who worked as a carer for 18 years, said: "It's really sad."
A spokeswoman for the fire service said the fire did not spread to neighbouring flats and was dealt with by 3.18am.
Crews are on scene this morning while they work on the fire investigation.
Ashleigh Jarvis, operations manager of Blackbourne View, which is run by Housing 21, said: "We can confirm there has been a fire at Blackbourne View in the early hours of this morning and we are supporting the police and fire service in their investigations."
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Suffolk Police quoting reference CAD 36 of July 6.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.