Man, 77, dies in flat fire in Suffolk
- Credit: MARIAM GHAEMI
A 77-year-old man has died following a fire at his sheltered accommodation flat in Suffolk.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the blaze in Peddars Close at 1.14am and three crews - from Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds and Thetford - attended.
One occupant of the first-floor flat was unaccounted for and was inside the property.
Officers have confirmed a 77-year-old man died at the Blackbourne View sheltered accommodation in Peddars Close.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said a joint police and fire investigation into the blaze is now taking place, though the death is not being treated as suspicious at this time.
You may also want to watch:
Others living in Peddars Close expressed their shock over what happened.
One neighbour, Andrew Ahenkuro, said: "It's such a tragedy."
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
Suzie Bates added: "That's awful. That's very sad."
Alan Bartrum said: "It's normally quiet round here. I have been here three years. My neighbour said she woke up at 2am (due to the commotion)."
Joyce Mitchell, who worked as a carer for 18 years, said: "It's really sad."
A spokeswoman for the fire service said the fire did not spread to neighbouring flats and was dealt with by 3.18am.
Crews are on scene this morning while they work on the fire investigation.
Ashleigh Jarvis, operations manager of Blackbourne View, which is run by Housing 21, said: "We can confirm there has been a fire at Blackbourne View in the early hours of this morning and we are supporting the police and fire service in their investigations."
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Suffolk Police quoting reference CAD 36 of July 6.