Man fights for life after attack
A MAN was fighting for his life last night after he was subjected to a vicious assault which left him with serious head injuries.The 23-year-old was set upon by two men after a night out in Ipswich town centre with his sister.
A MAN was fighting for his life last night after he was subjected to a vicious assault which left him with serious head injuries.
The 23-year-old was set upon by two men after a night out in Ipswich town centre with his sister.
The attack happened in the St Peters Street and Silent Street area in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Detectives described the attack as "nasty" last night and have launched an urgent appeal for witnesses.
You may also want to watch:
Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene just after 3.30am and the victim was rushed to Ipswich Hospital, where his condition was described as critical.
The man was then transferred to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridgeshire, where he underwent surgery yesterday.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Police said the victim and his sister, who had been out for the evening, walked over to Cardinal Park at around 3am and met two men in the vicinity of Brannigans and the Ask restaurant.
It is thought there was an initial altercation there between the victim, one of the two men, and at least one member of another large group of men – but no fight took place.
The victim and his sister then walked along Cardinal Park to Star Lane, where they noticed a red Escort-type car stopped near them at the junction with St Peters Street.
Two men got out of the car and followed the pair on foot, before one of the men had a fight with the victim in St Peters Street, near Star Lane.
There was then a further altercation in Silent Street, involving at least one of the men and the victim, who comes from London, before the assailants made their escape on foot.
Detective Inspector Alan Seaman, of Suffolk Police, said last night: "This was a nasty assault, which has left a young man with very serious injuries.
"We need to speak to anyone who may have seen the initial altercation near Brannigans, or who may have witnessed either of the physical altercations in the Silent Street area.
"We would particularly like to talk to a black male, with dreadlocks, who is believed to have been in a red car and who stopped to help the victim."
Police last night arrested two men, aged 19 and 23, in connection with the incident, but renewed their appeals for witnesses.
Anyone with any information about the attack is being urged to call Ipswich CID on 01473 613500.