Man flees pub fire by climbing down roof
A MAN escaped injury by clambering down a roof to safety after a suspicious fire broke out at a pub in the early hours of this morning.
The man was in a bedroom on the top floor of the Cups public house in Wantz Road, Maldon, when the fire started at about 3.30am.
He was alerted to the danger by a smoke alarm and quickly called 999 before climbing through a window and making his way to the ground.
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “He decided to clamber down a roof to safety and was at the roadside unhurt when crews arrived at the scene.
“The man confirmed that someone had thrown lighted materials through a pub window, triggering the blaze.”
You may also want to watch:
Two crews from Maldon and a third from Witham attended the incident and the flames were under control by 4am. A joint police and fire service investigation will be carried out.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!