A12 reopens after man in 20s dies following crash between Chelmsford and London
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 20s has died after a crash on the A12 between Chelmsford and London in the early hours of this morning. The A12 was closed in both directions until just after lunchtime, when it partially reopened.
A white Renault Kango van crashed into the central reservation on the A12 London-bound near Brentwood, just before junction 11 and close to the M25, in a single-vehicle incident at around 3.30am today (December 30).
The driver, a man in his 20s from east London, was removed from the van by firefighters but was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services. His next of kin have been informed.
The A12 was closed in both directions between junction 11 (M25 junction 28, Brook Street Interchange) and junction 12 (A1023).
Police are continuing to investigate the collision and are appealing for dash-cam footage of the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Essex Police said in a statement issued at 7.30am: “A man in 20s from East London has died, following a single vehicle collision near the Brook Street roundabout in the early hours of this morning (Saturday, December 30).
“The man, who was driving a white Renault Kango van, was travelling London bound, when the vehicle left the road and collided with the central reservation, just prior to junction 11.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 5 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 10 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
“Very sadly, the man died at the scene. Next of kin has been informed.
“Officers from our Serious Collision Investigation Unit are at the location of the incident, which happened at around 3.30am. “Anyone with information or dash cam footage from around the time of the incident, is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 01245 240590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.”
Three fire engines were called to the scene at 3.38am.
The Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews were called to the scene of a serious road traffic collision on the northbound A12, between junction 11 and junction 12 this morning (Saturday 30 December).
“On arrival firefighters reported that a van had collided with the central reservation and a man was trapped.
“Firefighters worked alongside the police and ambulance service to release the man and make the scene safe, but sadly the man died at the scene.”