Man in coma after stag party attack

THREE men were attacked as they returned from a stag party in Essex this weekend - leaving both the groom and best man in hospital.The “particularly nasty” attack happened as the trio - who were celebrating a wedding due to be held yesterday - passed the Abbot's Road junction on Mersea Road, Colchester, shortly after 2am on Saturday morning.

THREE men were attacked as they returned from a stag party in Essex this weekend - leaving both the groom and best man in hospital.

The “particularly nasty” attack happened as the trio - who were celebrating a wedding due to be held yesterday - passed the Abbot's Road junction on Mersea Road, Colchester, shortly after 2am on Saturday morning.

The 25-year-old groom, his 26-year-old best man, and a 17-year-old friend were punched and kicked, allegedly by a gang of men who got out of car.

It left the best man in a “critical but stable” condition in Colchester General Hospital suffering from serious head injuries, while the two other men also needed treatement for facial and chest injuries.


You may also want to watch:


The groom suffered facial injuries but discharged himself on Saturday, while the 17-year-old remains stable.

Detective Inspector Stuart Smith, of Colchester Police, said that the attack seemed motiveless and appealed for witnesses.

Most Read

He said: “It appears to be a totally unprovoked attack on a group of lads who had been out on the town enjoying a stag night to celebrate their friend's wedding.

“We are still speaking to witnesses in a bid to ascertain the exact sequence of events leading up to this particularly nasty attack which has left one man in a coma.

“We hope these people will be able to provide us with descriptions of the assailants.

“I would urge who was walking along Mersea Road between 2am and 2.30am that morning and who saw either this group of men or a car driving off at speed to contact us.”

Yesterday one resident in the area where the incident happened described how he was woken in the night by banging around outside, and heard shouting and arguing further up the road

He added that it was quite uncommon for such violence to take place in the area, although there was occasionally shouting from late night revellers making their way home from town.

Terry Sutton, Colchester Borough councillor for the area, said that he was very concerned for the injured trio, and that he hoped local people could help police track down the assailants.

He said: “It concerns me when anything like this happens anywhere in Colchester, not just this area.

“Whether they were followed home or it was just an unprovoked attack, it is not something that is likely to be repeated in the area. It is usually as quiet as a mouse.

“I obviously have concerns about the lads who have sustained the injuries, and wish them all the best.”

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said that the injured trio were found by an ambulance crew who thought they had been the victim of a road traffic accident.

The three men were taken to the hospital and were treated by a team who had been placed on standby to receive them.

The section of road where the attack took place was closed off for a period early on Saturday morning, and forensic teams examined the area for evidence, cordoning off a large area of the street for several hours.

Anyone with any information about the incident is being urged to contact Colchester Police on 01206 762212.

n Two men, aged 17 and 19, both from Colchester, were arrested in connection with the attack on Saturday afternoon on suspicion of assault, and were held overnight for questioning.

They were released on police bail, and told to reappear at Colchester Police station in early October.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter