Man in court over boys' deaths

A 33-YEAR-OLD man accused of two counts of manslaughter in connection with the deaths of two teenagers, who were fatally injured after they were hit by a car, has appeared in court.

By Danielle Nuttall

A 33-YEAR-OLD man accused of two counts of manslaughter in connection with the deaths of two teenagers, who were fatally injured after they were hit by a car, has appeared in court.

Zulfcar Ali, of Boyton Road, Ipswich, spoke only to confirm his name and address when he appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court yesterday.

The defendant, who was dressed in a black suit, blue shirt, and blue and yellow tie, is accused of the manslaughter of 15-year-olds Scott Towler and Dean Bloomfield in relation to an incident at Fore Hamlet in Ipswich on May 30.


You may also want to watch:


The Stoke High School pupils had been walking in Fore Hamlet when they were hit by car.

Scott died almost immediately, while Dean lost his battle for life in hospital the following morning.

Most Read

Ali was due to appear before magistrates in Ipswich on Thursday, but his appearance was delayed when he was admitted to hospital after becoming unwell.

Two police officers stood at the back of the courtroom yesterday as Ali made his first court appearance.

The defendant's solicitor, Charles Riddleston, made no application for bail and asked for Ali's legal aid to be extended.

Chairman of the bench Mark Wade remanded Ali in custody until his next court appearance on June 17.

Meanwhile, an inquest into the teenagers' deaths was opened and adjourned at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday.

Greater Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean called Det Insp John Quinton, of Suffolk police, to read brief details of the circumstances of the youngster's deaths.

Mr Quinton said the boys had sustained injuries in a moving road traffic accident. A post mortem examination revealed both teenagers died of head injuries.

“A short time after that a suspect, in relation to the accident, was arrested,” he said.

“As a result of on-going police inquiries since that time, a suspect has been charged with offences of manslaughter,” he added.

The coroner adjourned both inquests and added his thoughts were with both teenagers' families.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter