Man in hospital following straw bale blaze in barn

Fire crews were called to a blaze in a Suffolk barn on Thursday evening

Fire crews were called to a blaze in a Suffolk barn on Thursday evening - Credit: Archant

One man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation following a fire in a barn last night.

Fire crews were called to Golden Lane in Lawshall, near Bury St Edmunds, at about 9.10pm on Thursday to reports of 10 straw bales on fire.

The bales were removed by the firefighters and two hose reels were then used to extinguish the blaze by about 10.40pm.

The man who was suffering from smoke inhalation was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter