Man jailed for manslaughter after pushing musician to ground outside Essex pub
- Credit: ESSEX POLICE
The mother of an Essex man who died after being assaulted has said a future without her son is a “life sentence”, as his killer is put behind bars.
Kieren O’Rourke sustained a serious brain injury when David-lee Conlan pushed him to the floor and caused him to hit his head on April 8 last year.
Conlan was being verbally abusive towards a woman outside the Boars Head pub in High Street, Dunmow, and Mr O’Rourke had tried to intervene.
One of the woman’s relatives also attempted to step in but Conlan punched him in the face, breaking his nose and a tooth.
Mr O’Rourke, 42 and from Dunmow, was taken to Broomfield Hospital in Chemlsford and later transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “From his hospital bed, he was able to tell an officer he could not remember the confrontation or assault and that his next memory was waking up in hospital.
“However, he was in and out of consciousness while speaking to the officer.”
- 1 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 7 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Musician Mr O’Rourke died on April 18, 2017 as a result of the brain injury he sustained during the attack.
Conlan, 31, of Childs Lane, Stansted Mountfitchet, was arrested and charged with Mr O’Rourke’s manslaughter and causing actual bodily harm to a 40-year-old man from Tyne and Wear.
He admitted both charges when he appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court on May 3.
Conlan was sentenced on Thursday to five years for manslaughter and 12 months for the assault, to run concurrently.
Speaking after the hearing, Mr O’Rourke’s mother, Yvonne O’Rourke, said: “Kieren has been cruelly taken from all his family and friends.
“Whatever sentence Mr Conlan received is not going to bring Kieren back.
“We all face the future without him. It’s us that have a life sentence.
“I would like to thank the people of Dunmow for all their support and respect.”