Man jailed for vicious street assault

IPSWICH: A demolition worker who was involved in a late night street attack during which a man’s face was beaten “black and blue” has been jailed for six months.

James Tucker was walking home from a night out in Ipswich in February and was in the Vernon Street area when he saw a group walking towards him, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

One of the group said something to Mr Tucker but he had ignored the comment and carried on walking.

However, as he passed the group he was pushed to the ground and repeatedly kicked.

He later told police, “They surrounded me. I was kicked and it wasn’t just one person. I felt several blows to my head and face.”

You may also want to watch:

After the attack Mr Tucker was taken to hospital suffering from bruising and swelling to his face and head and was detained overnight.

As a result of the attack he suffered �4,000 in lost earnings as he was unable to work for two months. He also suffered a cracked tooth and two chipped teeth, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.

Most Read

Before the court were Barney Moore, 25 and Jade Shaw, 21, both of Norwich and a 16-year-old boy who cannot be named because of his age.

All three admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Tucker.

Moore was jailed for six months, Shaw was given a six month prison sentence suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work in the community and made the subject of a six month curfew.

The 16-year-old boy was made the subject of a 12 month Youth Rehabilitation Order and a four month curfew.

Sentencing them Judge John Holt said Mr Tucker had been subjected to an “unprovoked and prolonged group attack”.

Joanne Eley for Moore accepted the incident had been “nasty” and said Moore wasn’t very nice to know when he had been drinking.

She said he had recently been working for a demolition company.

Andrew Thompson for the 16-year-old boy said his involvement had been limited to two punches.

Steven Dyble for Jade Shaw said she was single mother with two children and had made admissions about her involvement in the incident to police.

He said she had kicked Mr Tucker twice and this was out of character for her.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus