Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Man claimed he had knife because he was repairing washing machine

PUBLISHED: 19:45 28 June 2018 | UPDATED: 20:03 28 June 2018

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

A Suffolk man who was arrested after he was seen leaving a store with a knife in the back of his trousers has been jailed for eight months.

Police officers went to St Olaves Parade in Bury St Edmunds on May 29 after receiving a call from someone who saw the knife, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Before the court was Pascal Hepp Stronza, 35, of Boby Road, Bury St Edmunds who admitted having a knife in a public place.

Joanne Eley, prosecuting said that after leaving the Spa shop the defendant had stood behind a tree and was arrested by police.

When the area near the tree was searched a red kitchen knife was found, said Miss Eley.

The court heard that Stronza had a previous conviction for having a knife in a public place in 2017 and had been jailed for eight weeks.

Jonathan Hasson for Stronza said his client had been using the knife to repair his washing machine and had forgotten it was in the back of his trousers when he went to the nearby Spa shop.

He said there was no evidence that Stronza used the knife to threaten anyone.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Suffolk Highways has announced on social media that one of its workers was ‘driven into’ and racially abused as he assisted in a fatal crash on the A12 today.

Stansted Airport’s expansion plans have been approved by Uttlesford District Council’s planning committee.

Delays and cancellations continue on trains going to and from London Liverpool Street after an earlier points failure.

Millions of pounds of cutbacks for council services in Suffolk next year have been revealed – with homes facing further council tax rises for the next three years.

Suffolk police are appealing for information after a man exposed himself to a dog walker in Tuddenham.

Two men have been arrested after a 19-year-old man suffered serious injuries following an attack in Sudbury.

The decision on whether to give Stansted Airport the go ahead to raise its passenger numbers by eight million a year has been approved.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24