Man killed in A12 crash
A MAN has been killed in a three vehicle crash on the A12 this afternoon.
AN ELDERLY man has been killed following a two vehicle collision on the A12 this afternoon.
The crash happened at 2.30pm at Woodbridge by the northbound junction with the Seckford Hall Hotel.
An elderly woman has also been taken to Ipswich Hospital as a result of the accident complaining of shortness of breath and is possibly suffering from internal injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Diversions have been put in place for motorists whilst the emergency services deal with the incident.
Long queues of traffic have built up around the crash site, with thousands of people leaving the nearby Woodbridge Christmas Street Fair.
- 1 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 2 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 7 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 8 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 10 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
At 5.15pm the queues of traffic were extending as far back as the Martlesham bypass to the park and ride roundabout.
The collision involved a Ford Fiesta and a jeep style-car and fire crews had to cut both casualties free of the wreckage.
Inspector Mark Larner, of Suffolk police, said: “A two vehicle road traffic collision occurred at approximately 2.29pm at the A12 near to the junction of Seckford Hall Hotel and golf club.
“There is a confirmed male fatality and a female has been taken to hospital.
“We are appealing for witnesses to this incident to call PC 1015 Buss at Suffolk police on 01473 613500.”
Staff at the nearby Seckford Hall Hotel said they were aware a collision had taken place and could hear a helicopter hovering overhead.
They said they had been told to divert guests away from the A12.
A road traffic investigation is currently ongoing into the incident.