Man kills himself by drinking anti-freeze

IPSWICH: A 29-year-old man, who was experiencing “profound difficulties” in his life, killed himself by drinking anti-freeze.

Stephen Allen, a salesman who lived in Spring Road, was found dead in his downstairs bathroom on October 27 last year, an inquest into his death has heard.

The inquest on Tuesday heard that Mr Allen went missing on October 26 and the following day, police got a key from the landlord of his rented property and forced their way in, where they discovered he had died.

On a coffee table there was a picture of a young girl, a bottle of anti-freeze and an A4 pad, with what appeared to be a letter.

His cause of death was noted as ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) poisoning.


You may also want to watch:


It was heard that on previous occasions he had been admitted to Ipswich Hospital’s emergency department and St Clement’s Hospital (which caters for mental health patients). During one of those times, he left a letter which included funeral arrangements.

Coroner Dr Peter Dean said: “It is clear there had been previous incidents where he had contemplated taking his own life. Also it is clear he had very difficult circumstances in his own life. He did have very significant and profound difficulties in his life.

Most Read

“It is very clear from the letter he had written that he was a very intelligent and articulate man.

“He understood and intended the consequences of his actions.”

He returned a verdict that Mr Allen took his own life.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus