Man lit barbecue in Braintree bedroom in bid to take his own life
A man who died of carbon monoxide poisoning after lighting a barbecue inside his bedroom had tried to kill himself before, an inquest heard.
Ryan Coode, of Tideswell Close, Braintree, was discovered dead on May 10 this year.
At an inquest into his death at the Essex Coroners’ Court in Chelmsford yesterday, the court heard how Mr Coode, 28, scribbled in pencil on the wall three messages, including one which mentioned “he wanted to depart the world”.
A post-mortem examination carried out at Broomfield Hospital found the cause of death to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
Five fire engines were sent to the address at the time after reports of a suspicious smell, and the inquest heard there was a strong odour of burnt charcoal in the room. Essex Police found no suspicious circumstances.
Neighbours said they had heard the same five or six songs playing over and over during the course of the weekend.
Mr Coode’s mother had told investigators that her son, born in Maldon, had tried to take his own life recently by swallowing pills.
Caroline Beasley-Murrary, Essex senior coroner, said: “I have come to the very sad view that this gentleman intended to take his own life.
“I must make sure it is beyond reasonable doubt, and having regard to all of the circumstances I am.
“He formed the intention and took a deliberate action, knowing it would result in his death. It must have been a very difficult time for his mother.”
Mrs Beasley-Murray expressed her sympathy to Mr Coode’s family, and told the court she had been informed that relatives could simply not face attending the hearing.
Previously his mother, Jeannette Coode, had described Mr Coode, a former Rickstones School pupil, as a “shy and thoughtful” and “intelligent” boy.
A spokesman for New Rickstones Academy said: “In his time at Rickstones School Ryan was thoughtful, considerate and a talented sportsman who was well liked by his peers and staff alike.
“We are deeply saddened to hear of Ryan’s tragic death and wish to send our condolences to Ryan’s friends and family at this time.”