Man quizzed in park murder bid probe
A MAN from the Ipswich area last night became the fifth person to be arrested by police following a woodland attack.
The 20-year-old was in custody late last night at Ipswich Police Station after being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
Four other young men from Ipswich arrested after a 21-year-old was left fighting for his life were last night released on police bail.
A 17-year-old, two 18-year-olds and a 20-year-old were questioned by officers while the victim remained in a critical condition at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
They were arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm with intent.
You may also want to watch:
The injured man, who is also from Ipswich, suffered serious head injuries when he was assaulted in the Bridge Wood area of Orwell Country Park, in Nacton, on Monday afternoon.
Police said the victim suffered multiple injuries during an assault in which he was beaten unconscious and left with life-threatening injuries.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
Emergency services were called to the scene just after 3.50pm. Paramedics treated the man, stabilising his condition before taking him to Ipswich Hospital.
He was transferred shortly afterwards to Addenbrooke’s. Yesterday, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Police described the victim’s condition as “critical but stable”.
During the day police cordoned off around two acres of Bridge Wood in Orwell Country Park.
A tented area was erected at the spot where the man was discovered.
Uniformed officers were seen scouring the area.The scene is in a clearing towards the end of a track that leads down to a cottage from the public car park.
After the incident was reported to police, officers and the force’s helicopter were sent to the woodland to search the surrounding area.
The suspects were taken into custody at 5.10pm after being stopped in Bixley Road, near the area of St Augustine’s roundabout. It is believed they were on foot.
Two of the males, aged 17 and 20, and from Ipswich, must return to Ipswich Police Station on June 29. The other two, both aged 18 and from Ipswich, must return to Ipswich Police Station on June 30.
Anyone with any information about the incident should call Ipswich CID on 01473 613500.