Man quizzed over petrol bomb attack
DETECTIVES were last night questioning a man after a house in a coastal Essex town was targeted in a suspected petrol bomb attack.The house, in Thomas Road, Clacton, was cordoned off yesterday after the attack took place at about 11.
DETECTIVES were last night questioning a man after a house in a coastal Essex town was targeted in a suspected petrol bomb attack.
The house, in Thomas Road, Clacton, was cordoned off yesterday after the attack took place at about 11.30pm on Tuesday night.
The man in custody, believed to be in his 30s and from Colchester, was arrested yesterday morning on suspicion of arson with intent.
The occupants of the house, a middle-aged couple, were asleep at the time, and a neighbour said that they had just returned from holiday. No-one was at the home yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
Juliet Prior, who lives on the other side of the road with her two daughters, said: “My daughter said she heard someone running away and the sound of smashing. We called the fire brigade.
“We saw the flames and could smell the petrol. How they didn't hear it in there, I don't know.”
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 6 Judge won't play for Ipswich again this season as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said the area was usually quiet and the incident was very out of character.
He said: “I was watching TV in bed when I heard an almighty crashing noise. I saw flames out the window and I phoned the police.”
The resident added that there was a blue haze of flames as the fire burned, and what looked like melted plastic dripping from the top of the window.
Police have spoken to neighbours to gather as much information about the incident as possible and are appealing for anybody with information to come forward.
Insp Ian Coleman, of Essex Police's eastern division, said: “Bearing in mind it happened at 11.30pm, we would like to hear from witnesses who may have seen anything or anybody acting suspiciously in that road at the time.
“We are treating this as a very serious incident and it was fortunate nobody was hurt and further damage was not caused to the property.”
Anyone who saw the attack or has any details can contact Clacton CID on 01255 221312.