Man rescued from flat blaze

A MAN had to be resuscitated by paramedics after he was rescued from a fire in a Suffolk flat.

A MAN had to be resuscitated by paramedics after he was rescued from a fire in a Suffolk flat.

It is believed the man, aged in his late 50s, had fallen asleep in the bathroom of the home in Heath View, Leiston, after leaving a cigarette alight by his bed.

It is understood the bed caught alight and activated the home's fire alarms, which had recently been fitted by the fire service.

The man did not hear the alarm but his neighbours did and attempted to get into the home, before alerting the fire service.

Three fire crews from Leiston, Aldeburgh and Saxmundham went to the property after being told just after 1.10am that there was a fire in the first floor bedroom.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “A man was rescued and conveyed to hospital by ambulance.”

Most Read

A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We took the patient to Ipswich Hospital. He was a man in his late 50s.

“He had to have resuscitation and was then taken to Ipswich Hospital.”

The fire was under control by 2.12am.