Man rescued from flat fire after falling asleep with food cooking
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters rescued a man from a burning flat in Colchester in the early hours of this morning.
The blaze was sparked after the homeowner fell asleep with food cooking, according to fire officials.
Two crews from Colchester Fire Station were sent to the incident in Ranger Walk just after 2.10am today.
When firefighters arrived they found the kitchen alight and a man aged in his 40s still inside the home.
They broke into the flat and rescued the man, before ensuring the fire did not spread.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze was extinguished by 2.40am.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters rescued a man from a fire in a ground floor flat in the early hours of this morning.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
“Crews reported on arrival that a fire was burning in the property’s kitchen and a man in his forties was still inside.
“Firefighters gained entry into the property and helped the man from the flat, before extinguishing the fire by 2.37am.
“Crews worked hard to restrict damage to the kitchen.
“The fire was caused after cooking was left unattended when the man fell asleep.”