Snow

Snow

max temp: 2°C

min temp: -2°C

Search

Man rescued from flat fire after falling asleep with food cooking

PUBLISHED: 10:20 19 June 2018

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service attended Picture: DAVID STUBBS

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service attended Picture: DAVID STUBBS

Archant

Firefighters rescued a man from a burning flat in Colchester in the early hours of this morning.

The blaze was sparked after the homeowner fell asleep with food cooking, according to fire officials.

Two crews from Colchester Fire Station were sent to the incident in Ranger Walk just after 2.10am today.

When firefighters arrived they found the kitchen alight and a man aged in his 40s still inside the home.

They broke into the flat and rescued the man, before ensuring the fire did not spread.

The blaze was extinguished by 2.40am.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters rescued a man from a fire in a ground floor flat in the early hours of this morning.

“Crews reported on arrival that a fire was burning in the property’s kitchen and a man in his forties was still inside.

“Firefighters gained entry into the property and helped the man from the flat, before extinguishing the fire by 2.37am.

“Crews worked hard to restrict damage to the kitchen.

“The fire was caused after cooking was left unattended when the man fell asleep.”

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists