Man sentenced to nine years for raping a woman in her 30s in Lowestoft in 2005
- Credit: Archant
A man has today been sentenced to nine years for raping a woman aged in her 30s in Lowestoft in 2005.
Fokrul Islam, 38, from Nevendon Road, Wickford, Essex, was arrested in March 2014 after he was stopped by the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) after travelling from Belfast to Liverpool, and was subsequently charged.
Between 9.30pm and 11.30pm on Monday, January 31 2005, the victim was walking along Raglan Street, Lowestoft when she was dragged into a vehicle and raped.
Islam pleaded not guilty, but was found guilty of rape and was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court today.
Investigating Officer, Dc Darren Winchester, said: “Islam’s DNA was taken when he was stopped by the UKBA in March last year and from that he was identified as a suspect after his DNA matched that taken from the victim in 2005.
“This case highlights how seriously we take assaults of this nature and how we never give up on bringing the offender to justice.
“The victim showed immense courage in 2005 by reporting the rape very quickly that ensured police were able to secure vital evidence.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 4 Needham Market 0 Ipswich Town 7: Chaplin nets hat-trick
- 5 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 6 McKenna: Pre-season results are not important
- 7 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 8 Where you can see the Battle of Britain memorial flypast today
- 9 Town haven't taken option to sign Bakinson
- 10 Things we might learn from Ipswich Town's pre-season games
“Even though nine years have passed since this offence, I hope today’s sentencing provides the victim with some comfort.
“I want to reiterate that Suffolk Police takes all allegations of sexual assault seriously and that we will continue to fully investigate until the offender is brought to justice.”