Manhole cover 'irresponsibly' removed from park by vandals
- Credit: Greg Nichols
A manhole cover has been removed from a park in Leiston overnight and left covered in branches leaving it open for potential injury.
The manhole near the skate park at Victory Road Recreation Ground was found open at 7am this morning, with branches arranged over the top to cover the gaping hole.
Concerned citizen and council worker Greg Nichols was notified by his brother-in-law and quickly made his way to the scene to make it safe.
He said: "The hole that the cover was over is for a deep soakaway and if someone had fallen down there they would of been seriously hurt or worse. Whoever had removed it is very irresponsible.
"Let’s hope that the people or person responsible now realise the problem it may of caused and leave well alone."
Mr Nichols put on a new cover and frame with four screws and a concrete infill, in the hope it will deter any repeat vandals.
Leiston Town Council was made aware of the vandalism.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw