Massive charity cash boost for hospice
A HUGE �20,000 has been raised for St Elizabeth Hospice through a charity dragon boat race.Hundreds of people lined descended on Alton Water for the third annual race to take place in aid of the hospice, based in Foxhall Road, Ipswich.
A HUGE �20,000 has been raised for St Elizabeth Hospice through a charity dragon boat race.
Hundreds of people lined descended on Alton Water for the third annual race to take place in aid of the hospice, based in Foxhall Road, Ipswich.
A total of 18 teams from Suffolk businesses and organisations competed in the ancient Chinese tradition to raise the money for the hospice, which cares for patients in east Suffolk who have a life-limiting illness.
Chinese drums and the Samboomba band provided a colourful soundtrack as each team of ten to fourteen sponsored rowers took part in three races on Saturday, with the fastest crews going through to the finals.
You may also want to watch:
Among the teams were the Vampires, blood specialists from Ipswich Hospital who looked the part in fancy dress complete with fangs.
Team member Sarah Bird set up a tribute fund in memory of her husband Lawrence who was cared for by the hospice.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 5 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 6 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 7 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 8 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 9 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 10 Sweltering Suffolk could see hottest day this year ahead of thunderstorms
She said: “I lost my husband Laurie two years ago and my colleagues wanted to do something in his memory.
“They looked at the hospice events diary and came up with the idea of entering a team in the dragon boat race.”
Other teams included Ashton Graham, Port of Felixstowe, Fuller Davies, Healeys Print Group, The Hearing Care Centre, ISG Jackson and Suitcase TV.
Patsy Johnson, events coordinator at St Elizabeth Hospice, said: “The Dragon Boat Race event has proved a big success and the companies which took part said it was great for team building, motivation and staff morale.
“Some teams took it more seriously than others but everybody seemed to have a whale of a time.”
n. Tell us what you thought of the day. Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, email email@example.com or log on to www.eveningstar.co.uk
n. To buy your photos from the day click on www.eveningstar.co.uk and go to myphotos24.