Meeting planned over community centre transfer plans
RESIDENTS in a Suffolk housing estate are holding a public meeting about council plans for community centres.
The New Bury Community Centre in Bury St Edmunds is one of five which St Edmundsbury Borough Council is planning to end its support for.
The council is planning to transfer responsibility for running the centres to the communities that use them in order to save �90,000 each year.
A meeting at the New Bury centre, in St Olave’s Road, Bury, is planned for Monday at 7pm.
Ernie Broom, meeting organiser, said he hoped as many people as possible would be attending the meeting.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Ereira, St Olave’s ward councillor, said while he understood residents’ concerns about the proposals, they offered a number of opportunities in terms both of what is done with the centres and in terms of sources of funding not currently available to centres.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 5 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 9 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day