Meghan Markle’s father will not be attending the royal wedding
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Meghan Markle’s father will not be attending her wedding to Prince Harry, the American star has confirmed.
In a statement released by Kensington Palace, the bride-to-be spoke of her sadness that Thomas Markle would miss her big day.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” Meghan said.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.
You may also want to watch:
“Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.”
Mr Markle is still in Mexico where he is recovering after undergoing heart surgery on Wednesday to implant three stents.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
The reclusive former TV lighting director, who had been due to walk his daughter down the aisle, was caught up in controversy after allegedly being caught staging photographs with the paparazzi.
He reportedly pulled out of attending the ceremony in St George’s Chapel on May 19 to avoid embarrassing his daughter, but then later said before his surgery that he wanted to be part of history and hoped to be there, celebrity website TMZ revealed.
Prince Harry has not yet met his future father-in-law Mr Markle - the first meeting due to take place this week.
Mr Markle was also set to be introduced to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ahead of the wedding.
Meanwhile, a dress rehearsal for the big day is taking place in Windsor, with thousands of people turning out to get a flavour of how Saturday will unfold.
Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland, who has arrived in the UK ahead of the big day, is tipped for the role or perhaps the bride will turn to her closest male friend, Soho House director Markus Anderson.