Mum's shock as have-a-go hero plunges into freezing river to save dog
- Credit: Ella Wilkinson
A mum-of-two has told how she was left stunned when a have-a-go hero waded into an icy river to save her drowning Jack Russell.
Sally Willis, from Melton, was walking her pet dog Sophia near her home on Saturday afternoon when she suddenly darted after a moorhen walking on an icy sluice.
Disaster struck as the excitable pooch skidded across the ice and plunged into a river behind it.
"You think it happens in the films, never to you, I always risk assess because I live right near the river anyway," she said.
"The sluice runs parallel to the river and as soon as I got down near it I saw the moorhens, she ran for it and cracked through the ice.”
Despite several desperate attempts to coax the dog back to safety, Sophia began to run out of energy - with her owner fearing the worst.
The 54-year-old says it was the extraordinary action of a passerby who plunged into the river and broke the ice to free the animal that ultimately saved her pet's life.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
- 10 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
"I was so stunned by this woman who went into the water," said Ms Willis, mum to Ben, 13 and Elizabeth, 10.
She admits she did consider going in herself.
"In hindsight, I did have a line which I could have tied around me but I wasn't sure whether the older ladies (who were nearby) could pull me out.
"The firemen said when they dredged my coat out that it was 5ft deep and sludge, I've heard horror stories and seen first hand when you get stuck and you can't get out.
She added: "I begged this lady, please don't go in - she put her foot in, and fell in sidewards, outstretched her hand, and started smashing the ice.
"The dog swam a little towards her, she dragged her out and she said run to the vets. That's when the fire brigade started running towards us."
“Another lady helped me carry all my stuff and was trying to phone the vets."
The dog owner continued: "It was touch and go, she was on death's door.”
Vets told the mum-of-two that Sophia was very lucky to be alive - but none the worse for her experience she is now safe at home celebrating her sixth birthday.
Now Ms Willis wants to find the woman and thank all those who stopped to help: "I said to this lady please leave your name at the vets, I need to thank you properly. She had a greyhound or a lurcher with her with a coat on.
"There was another woman who ran to the woods and came back with branches, so many people stopped to help, even in the pandemic."
Official advice from the Royal Life Saving Society UK warns against going onto ice to rescue a dog, instead, owners should move to somewhere the animal will be able to climb out and be called towards safety.
Exposure to freezing water can cause life-threatening illnesses such as hypothermia, cold water shock and even death.