Mendlesham: Village’s eager Beavers are in need of a new leader
- Credit: Archant
A Beaver Scout group could be forced to close unless someone comes forward to be its leader.
The 1st Mendlesham Beaver Colony is currently being run by Peter Freeman after the former leader Jo Abbott retired in July after 10 years’ of service.
Mr Freeman, 61, has been with 1st Mendlesham Scout Group since the late 1980s.
He said: “It seems we’re in a time when it’s very difficult as parents are reluctant to be leaders; everyone is busy. I’m going to look after it until Christmas and then review the situation and see how long I can keep doing it for.
“Jo spent 10 years with us – it’s not unusual for a parent to be here for that time and then move on.”
You may also want to watch:
Explorer Bear Grylls visited children in Suffolk last weekend.
Britain’s Chief Scout called for more parents to volunteer their time as there had been a surge in the number of children wanting to join up.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
Call Mr Freeman on 01449 766676 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.