Suffolk’s MEP launches seasonal food drive at Asda
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk’s Euro MP donated a basket of festive shopping to launch a seasonal community food drive at the Asda store in Bury St Edmunds.
Alex Mayer visited the Western Way store on Friday to launch the store’s ‘Fight Hunger’ campaign by unveiling a new Christmas sign at the shop’s collection point behind the checkouts.
Customer donations will go to foodbank Storehouse, which gives away bags of food, toiletries and nappies through agencies to people in need.
Speaking after the launch, Ms Mayer said: “Thank you to everyone donating food today. For some families just putting food on the table is a struggle.
“But the truth is that anyone can suddenly find themselves going hungry, when something unexpected happened, an illness, redundancy or the boiler breaking, and they are thrown into crisis.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m very pleased to be launching this great initiative in Bury - one that has a real effect on the local community. The reality is, though, that the fifth biggest economy in the world should not be relying so heavily on food banks as we do.“
Stocks are especially low on powdered milk, tinned meat and biscuits, and donations of these items are especially welcome.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
Michelle Frost, Asda community champion, said: “It’s great to have Alex Mayer MEP here to launch our ‘Fight Hunger’ campaign locally here in Bury in the run-up to Christmas.
“Our efforts rely on the kindness and generosity of our customers and we appreciate Alex’s support today.”