Mersea Island: Quartet set record for rowing around Britain in fastest time
- Credit: PA
A quartet has broken the record for the fastest time rowing around Britain.
The Islanders – Josh Taylor, 23, and Alan Morgan, 24, both from Mersea Island,Guernsey’s James Plumley, 24, and Gavin Sheehan, 25, from Cork – spent the last 26 days rowing 2,000 miles.
The crew crossed the finish line at London’s Tower Bridge to win the GB Row 2013 race, scooping £115,000.
Mr Taylor said: “We didn’t want to let anyone down so we pushed hard.
“Every time we got knocked down, we got back up and carried on going.”
You may also want to watch:
Six boats began the race on June 1, but four pulled out with mechanical while the Islanders remained on course.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 4 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 5 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 6 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 7 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 8 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 9 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth