Mersea Island: Quartet set record for rowing around Britain in fastest time
- Credit: PA
A quartet has broken the record for the fastest time rowing around Britain.
The Islanders – Josh Taylor, 23, and Alan Morgan, 24, both from Mersea Island,Guernsey’s James Plumley, 24, and Gavin Sheehan, 25, from Cork – spent the last 26 days rowing 2,000 miles.
The crew crossed the finish line at London’s Tower Bridge to win the GB Row 2013 race, scooping £115,000.
Mr Taylor said: “We didn’t want to let anyone down so we pushed hard.
“Every time we got knocked down, we got back up and carried on going.”
You may also want to watch:
Six boats began the race on June 1, but four pulled out with mechanical while the Islanders remained on course.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury