Michael Chopra slams section of Ipswich Town fans who “don’t have a clue about football”
IPSWICH Town striker Michael Chopra last night hit out at fans who have attacked the side for their poor start to the season.
Talking on micro-blogging site Twitter he said fans who had criticised the team on the internet “don’t have a clue about football”.
The outburst came just 24-hours after Town were beaten by Wolves leaving them in the relegation zone. But Chopra said it was too early to judge the players and manager Paul Jewell.
In a series of posts he said: “Find it so funny reading ... the Ipswich town fans who write comments ... don’t have a clue about football.
“The proper fans have been amazing, standing by the team that’s under performed last season and at times this season but we will get things right in the end - people forget we’ve only played 6 games and we are only 2 wins off the playoffs.
“I don’t agree with fans saying I’m useless, they forget the goal against Watford I scored got us 3 points and the goal I scored against Huddersfield got us a point with me scoring - that’s 4 points out of 5.”
But some fans reacted angrily. Lewis Brown said: “These people are also allowed an opinion as they pay �30 odd quid a time to watch dross like last night.”
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 3 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 4 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 7 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
- 8 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 9 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
And another fan KerryBlue said: “Get your finger out you’re a disgrace this season.” To which Chopra replied: “Do one.”
He also suggested that people are happy to be critics on the internet but in person would not repeat their claims.
n Town fans have their say – Page 51.