Dramatic pictures as huge blaze engulfs popular walking spot
- Credit: Archant
This was the dramatic scene at Colchester’s Middlewick Ranges after a fire - believed to have been started deliberately - broke out at the popular walking spot.
Essex Police and Essex County Fire and Rescue were both sent to deal with the grass blaze in Mersea Road on Monday evening, with residents living nearby told to stay indoors for their own safety.
Firefighters were called to the area, known locally at the Wick, at 9.10pm.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue said: “On arrival, crews reported that an area of grass roughly 100m x 50m was already burnt and a fire was burning through gorse and heather plants.
“Crews used an off-road vehicle from Manningtree to access the fire and extinguished it by 10.30pm.”
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate at this stage.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop