Candidate says constituents ‘deserve’ an MP who lives locally
A foodbank manager who has been selected as a parliamentary candidate has said the hardship he has witnessed at the charity has motivated him to stand.
Mike Beckett, who manages Colchester Foodbank, said he is confident he can win the seat currently occupied by Conservative Sir Bernard Jenkin, saying support for his party, the Liberal Democrats, is on the rise.
Mr Beckett said: "I'm certainly motivated to run for parliament by what I have seen at the foodbank.
"My charity and community work has taken me all across the area from Langham to Wivenhoe to Harwich, working with several hundred local organisations.
"We all deserve an MP who lives in the constituency and will put local concerns first."
You may also want to watch:
Prime minister Boris Johnson has said that he will give MPs more time to debate his Brexit deal if they agree to a general election on December 12.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him