Moreton Hall youths hoping to bring skate park to the estate
- Credit: Archant
Young people in Moreton Hall are hoping to bring a skate park to their side of Bury St Edmunds.
St Edmundsbury Borough councillor for the estate, Frank Warby, is looking to help the youth club members to start a campaign, lamenting the lack of youth facilities in the area.
He said the campaign is “in its infancy” but is full of praise for those at the youth club, who have been eager to get going.
He said: “It is at very early stages at the moment. They have been incredibly keen to get started, four of them went off and raised £90 in two hours, I had to explain to them it has to be more official than that.
“These things take a lot of hard work, a lot of time and a lot of money. Moreton Hall only really has the youth club for younger people, there is nothing else.
You may also want to watch:
“Everything is on the other side of the town, the skate park, the leisure centre. It is about time we got more for the kids on this side of the town.
“They had nothing until we set up the youth club.
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 8 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 9 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
“It is very encouraging that they have come up with idea on their own and taken the initiative.
“I have already started working to help them out and I have approached the borough council youth services officer.
“We have to find land first, make sure that the council are on board and then get the ball rolling by trying to get help from local businesses.”
He said one possible plot of land on the Moreton Hall Industrial Estate, off Kempson Way, had been identified.
“It will be a challenge and we are going to be taking it step by step,” added Mr Warby.
A borough council spokeswoman said that they have a track record of helping community organisations find funding for projects, citing the creation of a concrete skate park off Western Way in Bury, in partnership with several organisations.