Mother’s plea after Ellie suffers burns on beach barbecue coals

SUFFOLK: A concerned mother has warned people about the dangers of having a barbecue on the beach after her toddler stood on hot coals.

Bryony Quainton was with her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter Ellie at Bawdsey quay on Sunday evening for a picnic.

They were walking side by side along the beach enjoying the warm weather when the youngster stood on the coals, which had been left close to the sea edge.

Fortunately Mrs Quainton, 31, who lives in nearby Alderton, is a paediatric nurse and put her daughter’s foot into the water immediately.

The brave toddler was left with a burn about the size of a 50p piece and was taken to Ipswich Hospital. She was recovering at home today.


You may also want to watch:


Mrs Quainton said: “The coals and ashes were light grey on top and camouflaged against the sand on the beach. I did not see them until Ellie trod in them.

“It could have been a lot worse if I hadn’t acted quickly. I am hoping people will be more careful of their waste, particularly from barbecues on the beach. It would only have taken a minute to douse the coals with water or dispose of them.”

Most Read

Mrs Quainton said she would like to thank other families on the beach who helped care for Ellie.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus