Motorbike racer's horrific crash ordeal
By David VincentA MOTORBIKE racer has suffered horrific injuries after crashing at more than 120mph during a competition.Phil Seton, 29, was knocked unconscious by the impact of the collision, in which he suffered a broken right wrist, ripped tendons, a possible broken collarbone, two broken ribs and a broken jaw.
By David Vincent
A MOTORBIKE racer has suffered horrific injuries after crashing at more than 120mph during a competition.
Phil Seton, 29, was knocked unconscious by the impact of the collision, in which he suffered a broken right wrist, ripped tendons, a possible broken collarbone, two broken ribs and a broken jaw.
Seton, from Colchester, Seton was competing for Team Buff/Shark Kawasaki at Thruxton, Hampshire, on Sundayin the second round of the British Supersport Cup.
You may also want to watch:
He was knocked unconscious in a high-speed fall on lap 15 of the 20-lap race when involved in a collision with one of the front-runners, Stuart Easton, as he lapped him.
The impact ripped Seton's Kawasaki motorbike in two, removing the front handlebars and front wheel section, and he then collided heavily with the perimeter tyre wall.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
Chris Cook, co-owner of Shark Kawasaki, said: “I can confirm that Phil has a dislocated and broken right wrist and also ripped tendons. He also sustained a broken collarbone, two broken ribs and jaw.
“It is a very disappointing end to the weekend for everyone concerned at Shark Kawasaki and we hope to see Phil make a speedy recovery as soon as possible.”
He added: “He was unconscious for quite a while, but he came round by the time they came to take him to hospital.
“I don't think he is going to be able to ride for a while. It depends a lot on how long his jaw takes to mend and he also needs surgery to his wrist.”
Seton's girlfriend Charlie Young, who was with him in hospital yesterday as he awaited surgery, said: “I was in a complete state until I could see him and he could talk to me and he told me he was fine.
“He is very stubborn and never lets anything beat him. I was down by the pits so I didn't see the crash, but apparently he went right over the handlebars.
“He knew someone was coming up behind him. He tried to move over to allow more room, but he had to keep his racing line.”
She added: “It is getting a bit better, they don't think his collarbone is broken now. They want to operate on his wrist today and not on his jaw.
“Hopefully, we will be able to come home tomorrow and he can continue his treatment at Colchester General Hospital.”