Motorcycle owners urged to secure bikes after rise in thefts in Ipswich
- Credit: Contributed
Motorbike owners in Ipswich are being warned of a rise in thefts of the vehicles.
The crimes have been reported in the south east area of Ipswich in recent weeks.
Now police are warning owners of bikes to be extra vigilant in securing them so they do not become victims as well.
Inspector Gary Miller, from south east Ipswich local policing command, advised people in the town what they could do to reduce the chances of their bike’s and mopeds being stolen. “Currently we are experiencing an increase in the theft of motorbikes and mopeds across the South East (of Ipswich) and Ipswich in general,” he wrote in the weekly south east Ipswich Neighbourhood Watch newsletter.
“On the whole the bikes are taken from driveways and roadways, so my appeal is to make sure they are adequately secured or moved completely out of sight where possible. They have largely been taken overnight and we think they are stolen for onward sale as we have had very few reports of joy riding.”
You may also want to watch:
Insp Miller added he is encouraging people to be vigilant of any suspicious activity seen in the town and to report it to police.
He said that this was particularly important in part due to the bike thefts but also because an increased number of burglaries had been reported in the town.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car