Motorist in death crash 'on test drive'
A MOTORIST who was driving a sports car which mounted a pavement and collided with a young woman – causing her fatal injuries – was in the middle of a test drive, it has been revealed.
A MOTORIST who was driving a sports car which mounted a pavement and collided with a young woman - causing her fatal injuries - was in the middle of a test drive, it has been revealed.
The 40-year-old driver from Colchester, who herself is in a critical condition, was driving a red Alfa Romeo Spyder with its soft-top roof down when she crashed in the town's Berechurch Road.
The car was in collision with a 21-year-old woman, who was trapped under the vehicle before being rushed to Colchester General Hospital. She later died from her head injuries.
The car driver remained in a critical condition in hospital last night following the collision, which happened on Thursday at about 8.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
The 24-year-old owner of the Alfa, who was a front-seat passenger, was slightly injured and was treated for severe shock.
Essex Police said yesterday the 21-year-old who died may have been pushing her bike along the pavement when she was struck rather than riding it.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
"It is not clear whether the girl who died was on her bike or pushing her bike at the time of the collision. We do know she appears to have been on the pavement."
Yesterday police appealed for the driver of a yellow car, possibly a Mazda, seen at the time of the accident, to come forward.
A spokeswoman said it was believed the driver of the car may have even stopped briefly at the scene before driving off.
The dead woman has yet to be named and yesterday police officers were with her family.
Police have issued an appeal for more information and anyone who witnessed the accident should contact Stanway road policing unit on 01206 762512.