Motorists ‘are being abusive’ towards workers in Bury St Edmunds, traffic management boss claims
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Drivers are being asked to be patient after traffic management workers were allegedly threatened at a key route into Bury St Edmunds.
Drivers are being asked to be patient after traffic management workers were threatened at a key route into Bury St Edmunds.
The removal of a double roundabout on Cullum Road/Parkway started on Monday, June 9, with 12 weeks of roadworks and temporary traffic lights.
Tom Howard, of Mervyn Lambert Traffic Management, said his team out on site “are getting threatened” because “people are getting irate” and are “being abusive”.
“It is busy out there, I do understand,” he said. “The guys are doing their best to manage the lights. People are sitting in traffic a bit longer than expected.”
He added: “Apologies for any inconvenience caused.”
He is urging motorists to be patient while the works at the busy route are under way, and suggested they avoid the area if they can.
- 1 'Inspiring and brilliant' Suffolk pilot, 21, died from an infected insect sting
- 2 Ex-Town duo sign for League One rivals
- 3 Revealed: The sell-on fee Town are set to receive for Downes
- 4 Suffolk school unveils plans for new fitness suite and cafe
- 5 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 6 Woman rescued after being swept out to sea off Suffolk coast
- 7 Much-loved Stowmarket shop to re-open at new premises
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Go-ahead for 1,000 new homes on controversial site
- 10 Inside Suffolk’s best café - where there’s a cake cupboard!
The works are part of a wider scheme of safety improvements at a range of junctions across Bury and are being funded out of a £2.8million ring-fenced grant. The money can not be spent on maintenance works.
The double roundabout will be removed, while several traffic lighted crossings for cyclists and pedestrians will be put in place.
Mr Howard said he had two staff working from 7am to 7pm to manage the lights.
He added ambulances are able to contact the team in advance so they can be let through without delay.
Earlier this week market trader and representative Darren Old described the roadworks as “needless”.
He reported several traders at the first Bury St Edmunds provisions market to take place since the closure were struggling.
“To be honest, this morning [June 7] has been diabolical,” he said. “I know it has been a bit windy, but this is far more than just the weather.”
There were also traffic problems around the Newmarket Road area on Wednesday due to Glasswells furniture store’s stock clearance sale.
James Finch, county council’s cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “The point of the project on Westgate Street is to address safety issues, improve traffic flow and enhance facilities for people who walk and cycle.”
He said early indications showed traffic management at the roadworks and along the diversion route was working to plan, but it would be monitored.