MP Dan Poulter opposed to proposed Travellers’ site in Claydon
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk MP has written to homeowners opposing a proposed Travellers’ site in the county.
Central Suffolk and North Ipswich MP Dan Poulter has written to homeowners in Claydon and Barham, along with Mid Suffolk District Council leader Derrick Haley, following concerns from residents.
The proposed site is on land adjacent to Claydon Hall Cottage and Corner Cottage in Church Lane, Claydon.
Among the developments are siting three static caravans and two touring caravans, as well as building a single storey building for amenities, erecting boundary fences and developing new vehicle access and parking.
In the letters to both residents and Mr Haley, Dr Poulter said he was “very concerned” about the application.
You may also want to watch:
At the last public meeting held over the plans, around 300 people turned up to Claydon High School to air their views.
Dr Poulter added he didn’t consider the proposed location to be appropriate for a Travellers’ site, and that it wasn’t in the best interest of the Travelling community.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
Dr Poulter added that in his view it would be more sensible for the district council to work towards expand the existing Travellers’ site at West Meadows, on Bury Road near to the ASDA Ipswich superstore.
Dr Poulter said: “The ASDA site already has high quality facilities and established community links to properly deal with what are the sometimes complex health and other needs of the Travelling community.”
In response to the letter, Mr Haley said: “Mid Suffolk, and myself, are aware that a proposed Gypsy and Traveller site on land at Church Lane, Claydon, has raised concerns for residents in the area.
“Officers are currently considering all consultation and neighbour responses on the application.
“Because of the nature of the application it will be heard by Mid Suffolk’s development control committee and we expect this to happen in the spring.”