MP Gummer sees Abellio Greater Anglia’s work on Ipswich station rebuild
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer has officially launched the £2m rebuilding work at Ipswich station.
Work inside the station has already started – the WH Smith newspaper shop has closed as has the Pumpkin buffet. They will be transformed into a large hall with catering and retail units around the side.
In the new year work will start outside the station creating a new forecourt that should be more easily accessible to pedestrians.
The internal work at the station is expected to continue until August next year, and is expected to cost about £1m.
The forecourt work is being carried out by the county council in partnership with Abellio Greater Anglia and that should be complete by the middle of 2016.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gummer said: “This is another sign that investment is coming to Ipswich. We need to present our best face to the world and that is why the station needs to look good.
“For our thousands of commuters the refurbishment will also bring improvements. There is much more to do but this is a good start.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results