MP 'unimpressed' by A14 repairs blow

AN MP has described the extended wait for subsidence repairs to a newly completed A14 safety scheme as “adding insult to injury”.Earlier this month, the EADT reported that part of the busy road at Rookery Crossroads near Bury St Edmunds had slumped only months after the major improvement works were unveiled - over budget and late.

AN MP has described the extended wait for subsidence repairs to a newly completed A14 safety scheme as “adding insult to injury”.

Earlier this month, the EADT reported that part of the busy road at Rookery Crossroads near Bury St Edmunds had slumped only months after the major improvement works were unveiled - over budget and late.

David Ruffley, MP for Bury, yesterday severely criticised further delays to repairs to the notorious stretch of the A14.

“Someone needs to pull their finger out and sort this out,” he said. “I'm tired of being told the work on the fly over at Rougham and Haughley bends will benefit my constituency.


You may also want to watch:


“I also want these projects to be run efficiently. The (Highways Agency) should be responding quicker to the subsidence problems.

“It has taken 25 years to build the fly over and it was late and over budget - that was bad enough but now they are going back. I'm underwhelmed and unimpressed.”

Most Read

Frank Heeps, a van driver from Bury, claimed the pot hole which developed as a result of the subsidence was dangerous and little had yet been done to remedy the situation.

However, he said he was pleased by Highways Agency assurances yesterday that the matter was in hand and the problem would be resolved within a week.

“Something has gone wrong somewhere,” he said. “The system has failed motorists. They needed to fill the hole quickly for safety - they just seemed unresponsive to the problem.”

The Rookery Crossroads work near Bury finished in March - six months late and £2million over budget - but specialist assessors were this weekend at the stretch to examine the mysterious slumping in one of the west-bound lanes.

Workmen discovered subsidence around a drain and the initial study was designed to establish how serious the problem was.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency rejected Mr Ruffley's accusation that the road project was badly managed and announced dates for work on the subsidence to begin.

“The agency is working closely with contractors who are expected to bear the cost of the work,” he said. “This is a very beneficial scheme to drivers because it was an area with a high accident rate.”

Work will begin at 8pm on Thursday. A 40mph limit will be in force with lane closures over the weekend. The work should be finished by 6am on Tuesday morning.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus