MRSA baby victim family's fury

By Danielle NuttallTHE family of baby Luke Day spoke of their anger last night after only learning of updates on the investigation into his death through the media.

By Danielle Nuttall

THE family of baby Luke Day spoke of their anger last night after only learning of updates on the investigation into his death through the media.

Julie Fenton, Luke's paternal grandmother, claimed Ipswich Hospital had not kept the family adequately informed about developments in the inquiry into how he contracted MRSA there.

She was speaking after it emerged a major investigation involving national experts had been launched after the hospital's tests failed to provide any answers.

Luke, the son of Kevin and Glynis, from Woodbridge, was born at Ipswich Hospital on February 2 and showed no signs of ill health.

But he was found dead a day later. A post-mortem examination, carried out at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London, found the cause of death was septicaemia caused by MRSA.

Most Read

Doctors suspect that Luke became infected when the virus entered the bloodstream through his umbilical cord.

Officials said investigations at Ipswich Hospital had failed to find the source of the infection within the maternity department and experts from the Strategic Health Authority and the Health Protection Agency have been called in to carry out extensive further inquiries.

A review panel has also been set up and its members include national experts from the fields of microbiology, infection control nursing and the Health Protection Agency.

They will have the autonomy to determine exactly what they want to review, but it is expected they will be looking closely at every aspect of what happened to Luke, as well as wider infection control issues.

But Mrs Fenton said the family had known nothing about the decision and had only found out while reading about it in a newspaper.

“We were quite surprised they have national experts investigating now. We are really disappointed that the hospital, after the loss of our baby, are not keeping in close enough contact,” she added.

“We were at home and saw the paper and didn't know anything about it. We had a basic courtesy call and that was to Glynis and her mother. I feel they owe us a lot more than that.

“It was quite upsetting to read it in the papers. They should keep us informed of the steps they are taking.”

Jan Rowsell, Ipswich Hospital, said it was doing its best to keep the family aware of any developments.

“If they feel we can do more then we will absolutely take that onboard,” she added. “The investigation we have begun is continuing and has been widened to include the Strategic Health Authority and the Health Protection Agency. “Without any shadow of a doubt we will go back to them once the investigation is finished.”

The East Anglian Daily Times launched a Stamp Out MRSA campaign following Luke's death and more than 2,255 people have so far backed the petition calling for more to be done to get rid of the superbug.

Luke's father Kevin said: “I'm really pleased. It's surprising how many people are willing to sign and agree with us about the whole situation.

“It's taken Luke's death to learn from it and it should not have been that way round, but if it manages to change things, it's a good thing.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter