Mum's warning after baby choking scare
By Ted JeoryTHE relieved mother of a nine-month-old baby who almost choked to death after swallowing a plastic sticker has warned parents to be on their guard.
By Ted Jeory
THE relieved mother of a nine-month-old baby who almost choked to death after swallowing a plastic sticker has warned parents to be on their guard.
June Baker said she had no idea how her baby daughter Millie managed to get hold of the small sticker that lodged in her throat and almost killed her, but pleaded with other parents to be careful.
Mrs Baker, 30, a nursery nurse, said she had just been feeding Millie at her home in Moulsham Lodge, Chelmsford, when she had started choking.
You may also want to watch:
“I picked her up and then a bit of pasta came up, but then she stopped breathing, turned blue and her eyes started bulging,” she recalled.
“I slapped her on the back and I could see that there was something stuck in her throat, but her mouth was foaming and I couldn't get a grip on it.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
Mrs Baker dialled 999 and paramedics arrived within minutes. “They got forceps out and used those,” she said.
“They eventually got it at the third attempt, but I had to leave the room to be sick after the first go - I thought I was going to lose her. The paramedics were brilliant.”
Millie could not eat properly for two days after the incident, but she has since made a full recovery.
But Mrs Baker and her investment banker husband, Matt, 27, who also have a two-year-old daughter Jessica, remain puzzled over how their baby found the sticker.
Mrs Baker said: “It was plastic, had glitter on it with the word 'Love'. We think it must have dropped off a doll, but it's really a mystery. It must have been in her throat before we fed her.
“I would never buy any plastic stickers. At least with the paper ones, the babies can chew them to a pulp.
“But these plastic ones are dangerous - I'd really urge other parents to be careful. The whole episode was very grisly.”