Murder accused remanded in custody
VIDEO A 48-year-old man has appeared in court accused of murdering five Suffolk prostitutes.Truck driver Steve Wright, of London Road, Ipswich, appeared before magistrates in the town charged with the murders of Gemma Adams, 25, Tania Nicol, 19, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.
A 48-year-old man has appeared in court today accused of murdering five Suffolk prostitutes.
Truck driver Steve Wright, of London Road, Ipswich, appeared before magistrates in the town charged with the murders of Gemma Adams, 25, Tania Nicol, 19, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.
Wright was charged last night after being arrested at his home on Tuesday morning.
He was dressed in a dark blue suit, white shirt and blue striped tie and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.
You may also want to watch:
He was seated throughout the five minute hearing in the dock at court number three flanked by three police officers, standing only to confirm his personal details.
Robert Sadd, prosecuting, gave a brief outline of the case to magistrates Peter West, Renu Mandal and Mark Shackell.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
Mr Osler, for Wright, told the court that he was not making any application for bail.
Mr West, who chaired the panel of magistrates, told Wright that he was being remanded in custody until 10.30am on January 2 when he will appear before Ipswich Crown Court.