Murder probe will remain open - police
DETECTIVES in London say they will continue to investigate the murder of a Suffolk businessman despite the latest setback in the inquiry.A man had been charged with the murder of Phillip Saville, who died after a fight in Soho in the summer of 2001, but the Crown Prosecution Service dropped the case against him last week.
DETECTIVES in London say they will continue to investigate the murder of a Suffolk businessman despite the latest setback in the inquiry.
A man had been charged with the murder of Phillip Saville, who died after a fight in Soho in the summer of 2001, but the Crown Prosecution Service dropped the case against him last week.
But a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said yesterday the case would remain open until someone was brought to justice.
"As in any murder, the inquiry will not be closed until it is resolved. We will keep investigating the incident and any new leads that come in will be followed up," the spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
Father-of-two Mr Saville, who lived in Little Wratting, near Haverhill, died from head injuries in a London Hospital after he was involved in a fight while out celebrating a colleague's leaving party.
During a previous court hearing it was said Mr Saville had been drinking with three other men at the Old Bar in Wardour Street, prior to the fight on August 2, 2001.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
There was an altercation and six men – two of Eastern European appearance – were taken outside by security guards.
It is claimed Mr Saville, a drilling company director, smashed a bottle over a man's head and hit him with it before running off. He was chased by a man who pushed him over, resulting in him hitting his head.
He was taken to the Wellington Hospital in North West London and died sixteen days later.
Grigorijs Zamerzlaks, 27, of Beckton, east London, was arrested on January 14 and later charged with Mr Saville's murder. A second man was released without charge.
Mr Zamerzlakis was due to appear at the Old Bailey today for a plea and directions hearing, but the CPS has dropped the case on the grounds of insufficient evidence.
An inquest held at Westminster Coroner's Court into Mr Saville's death recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.