Mystery as body found in burnt out car
POLICE last night sealed off a quiet country lane after a charred corpse was found in a burnt-out car near the Essex Showground.The gruesome discovery was made by firefighters scrambled to a burning vehicle near Braintree at around 4pm yesterday.
By Roddy Ashworth
POLICE last night sealed off a quiet country lane after a charred corpse was found in a burnt-out car near the Essex Showground.
The gruesome discovery was made by firefighters scrambled to a burning vehicle near Braintree at around 4pm yesterday.
When the flames had died down a badly burned body was found by rescue workers, who had been called to the blaze in Brackley Lane, near the village of Great Leighs.
You may also want to watch:
Last night, police said the death was being treated as “unexplained”.
They added that the intensity of the blaze which engulfed the body had made it impossible to establish whether it was that of a man or a woman.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 CCTV released following series of burglaries
The corpse was found in the front passenger area of a white Volkswagen Golf, which appeared to have been parked on a grass verge.
A post mortem examination is expected to take place at some point today to try and establish the cause of death.
Last night a police spokesman said that officers were still at the scene, adding: "Anyone who was in the vicinity of Brackley Lane in the afternoon and saw anything suspiscious - or who has any other information - is asked to contact Braintree police Station on 01376 551312."