Mystery surrounds river body discovery
VIDEO A POST mortem is due to be carried out today following the discovery of a body in a river in Ipswich's red light district.
A POST mortem is to be carried out today following the discovery of a body in a river in Ipswich's red light district.
The body was discovered yesterday in the river at West End Road, and police have sealed off the area.
A police spokeswoman said the body is that of a man, possibly in his 40s, but is yet to be identified.
The cause of death is being treated as “unexplained” and officers are liaising with other forces to check missing persons' registers.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Greenwood, a builder working on a development of flats next to the river, discovered the body at shortly before 4pm yesterday.
He said his colleague in a crane told him he had spotted something which looked like a body floating in the water.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
Mr Greenwood said: “He had thought it was a dead swan. But we both went over and saw it was a body with jeans on face down in the water.
“It did shake me up as you do not expect to see things like that.
“I called my site manager who verified it was a body and he rang the police.”
Police have closed West End Road from the Zest nightclub car park to the end of Ipswich Borough Council's premises.