Nacton: Body found washed up in reed bed in Orwell Country Park thought to be Gavin Francis
- Credit: Archant
A body has been found washed up in a reed bed near Nacton.
It is believed to be that of Gavin Francis who went missing on New Year’s Eve last year.
A member of the public called police at 9.50am today after discovering the washed-up body at Orwell Country Park.
It was on the north side of the river opposite the marina and may have been there for some time.
The member of the public thought the body was that of a man but police have not yet confirmed this.
Police are working with the coastguard to recover the body.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Francis left his home in Purdis Farm on December 31 for a bike ride. A bike believed to be his was later found near the Orwell bridge.
Several searches for the 44-year-old were made by police and the coastguard but they were all unsuccessful.
However there is a possibility the body could be that of one of two men who reportedly jumped from a ferry last month.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 5 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 7 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 8 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 9 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
Two suspected immigrants were apparently seen diving off the Stena Britannica as it left Harwich on February 26 but were not found during the searches that followed.
Police are treating the death as unexplained.