Nandos, Bella Italia and McMullen’s pub lined up for Tollgate development in Stanway
- Credit: Archant
A planning application for a Nandos and Bella Italia restaurant plus a pub has been submitted for the Tollgate development in Stanway.
Churchmanor Estates has put in for permission from Colchester Borough Council for the first phase of the proposed Stane Park development, off the new Western Approach road.
The developer has already signed agreements with brewer McMullens for a country-style pub restaurant on the site, as well as Italian brand Bella Italia and Portguese-style chain Nandos.
If approved work on the site could begin in spring next year and be completed within nine months. The pub would be on the roundabout which currently has a drive-through Costa Coffee and Frankie and Benny’s.
Overall the development, if given the green light, will create an estimated 140 jobs.
The two-acre site is next to land which Persimmon Homes has applied to build 358 homes on, and is close to a proposed development by the Tollgate Partnership which includes plans for a cinema and further restaurants. It would be opposite the Sainsbury’s store.
Stephen Clark, managing director of Ipswich-based Churchmanor Estates, said: “We have lined up three high calibre occupiers in McMullens, Bella Italia and Nandos, who will add to the choice of restaurants where the growing population of Stanway can meet, eat and relax.
“The framework vision for the future of Tollgate is for a vibrant urban district which has a balance of high quality employment, retail and leisure proposals and our plans for Stane Park are a very good fit with that vision.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 6 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 7 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 8 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 9 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 10 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
“The new pub and restaurants will be a great place for social and community interaction and they are excellently located within very close proximity to local residential and retail areas. Importantly, 140 new jobs will be created.”
Colchester Borough Council has the final say on whether the plans get the go-ahead.
The Tollgate Framework Vision, drawn up by the council in conjunction with residents and local landowners, aims to ensure new developments support economic development and job creation. More than 2,000 new homes are planned for the Stanway Growth Area in the next few years.