National: Gazza banned from roads for drink-driving
ENGLAND football legend Paul Gascoigne avoided jail today despite being caught driving while more than four times the legal alcohol limit.
The former Lazio, Tottenham, Rangers and Newcastle midfielder was given an eight week sentence, suspended for a year, when he appeared at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court today.
He was arrested in the city’s Jesmond suburb when officers spotted him driving an MG erratically on at just after 2.45pm on October 8.
He was found to have 142mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath - the legal limit is 35mg - when he was tested.
Gascoigne, 43, admitted drink-driving at a hearing in October and was warned then that he could be jailed.
You may also want to watch:
But today he was banned from the roads for three years and given an alcohol treatment order.
A separate drink-drive charge, which Gascoigne denies, will be heard next week.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!